Adult Sailing Program
Cambridge Yacht Club is pleased to offer lessons and coaching to adult members who wish to learn to sail. An experienced CYC member will take you out on his/her boat and give you an overview of the skills you will need while on the water. These programs are free to all adult members of the Club.
Adult Sailing Program – Introduction to Sailing – 2023 Edition
The introduction to Sailing program is for people who want to learn about sailing. Ours is a four-week program, with two sessions in the classroom and two on the water. Please plan to attend all 4 sessions.
What You Will Learn
- At the end of the program, you should have a good understanding of the following:
- Different sailboats and sail plans
- Basic sailboat and sailing terms
- Sailboat parts
- Sailboat safety and basic navigation
- Rules on the water
- How to tie knots and which one to use; using cleats
- For the on-the-water portion, members will have hands-on practice hoisting and dousing the sails, trimming the main and jib, steering, tacking, gybing, using instruments, and man/woman overboard.
Things To Know
- The classes will be classroom style with hands-on activities. We will be outside for a portion of the 2 classroom days.
- Coffee/Tea and Donuts will be provided for the classroom session
- Important: This free program is not a substitute for a US Sailing Certification. If you have a boat, it is important that you take the Coast Guard safety course.
- Classroom sessions:
- Saturday, April 15 1:00 – 4:00 PM
- Saturday, April 22 1:00 – 4:00 PM
- On-the-water training (weather permitting):
- Saturday, April 29
- Saturday, May 6
- Saturday, May 13 (if needed)