News for Members
Registration is now OPEN for CYC's Junior Sail Program. Click Junior Sail for details
- Annual Membership Meeting is Saturday, February 18 – Commodore Trevor Carouge and the rest of the Flag and Board will present the state of the club and plans for 2023. We expect a crowd, so be sure to make your dinner reservation early.
- Super Bowl Pot Luck is Sunday February 12 – Doors open at 5:30 p.m. Contact Lin Perry for details, email@example.com or 301-785-0453.
- Sunday Brunch is back – We are offering Sunday Brunch 10-2 every Sunday in February.
- Mardi Gras is around the corner – We will have Mardi Gras specials February 17-19. Watch the newsletter for details.
- We need your help – We are looking for volunteers to run events, maintain the club, and grow the membership. We value your expertise, so please sign up for a committee here.
- Follow CYC on Facebook and Instagram for the latest updates from your club.
This Week at CYC
Week of Events
CYC is open for lunch from 11:30 AM to 2:00 PM. Please click here to make a reservation or call the club at 410-228-2141.
Click the link below to read the monthly CYC Chronicles newsletter.
Volunteer at CYC
Active members are the key to growing and maintaining the yacht club. We ask members to volunteer their time, energy, and expertise to keep the club thriving, make friends, and have fun.
Click each committee to learn more:
The first accordion item is hidden, to allow all of the items to start collapsed.
Marina & Docks
We need volunteers to:
- Be a Pier Captain – Pier Captains (two per pier) will walk the dock regularly and check for loose/frayed lines, leaky hoses, damaged boards, and items that need repair. Pier Captains do not have to fix all the problems; they just have to identify issues and escalate to the fleet captain.
- Greet Transients – Be on hand to welcome transients into their slips. Hold their lines while they get ready to disembark (they do the tying up), give them an overview of the Club and directions to town.
- Monitor the Radio – Choose a day (or a few hours) to respond to boaters who are trying to find our marina and looking for directions.
- Maintain the Marina – We can always use some extra hands to replace boards, cleats, and slip numbers.
Boating, Sailing & Regattas
Salt water runs in our veins! We need volunteers to help with:
- Organize and run Regattas – The Admiral Byrd Regatta is our flagship event of the season, and our Log Canoe races are a local favorite. We need volunteers to help plan and execute these major events.
- Regatta Committees – The regatta leaders need help with all aspects of the events – Race Committee boats, judges, Professional Race Officers, course layout, registration, entertainment, event brochure, etc.
- Weekly Races – CYC partners with the Eastern Shore Sailing Association (ESSA) for Wednesday Night Races, and we would like to start having CYC Members Only races on Friday nights. Participate as a sailor or in helping to organize.
- Adult Sailing – This year, we plan to start teaching adults to sail. We need volunteers to take out rookies and teach basic sailing terms and techniques.
- Adult Boating – This is the power boat equivalent of the adult sailing program. Sign up to help members learn the basics of handling a power boat.
- Cruising Club – The Cruising Club organizes cruises and raft ups for club members and/or coordinate with other local boating organizations (ESSA, Power Squadron) to have joint events.
Junior Sailing Program
Junior Sailing is the pride of CYC. Help us continue this tradition by:
- Prepping and Maintaining Equipment – Clean and maintain the Optis, Lasers, and our center console Boston Whaler known affectionately as the “Club Tub”
- Inventory Equipment – Update our equipment inventory and note what repairs are needed or any equipment to be sold or disposed of.
- Mentor Advanced Sailors – Take advanced sailors out on your boat and let them get a feel for sailing a larger boat.
- Rainy Day Lecturer – Occasionally we get rainy days where the students can’t be out on the water. Volunteer to share your sailing wisdom to some of the older students. (must be available on short notice during weekdays).
Building & Grounds
Our historic clubhouse always needs a little TLC. Please volunteer for:
- Gardening – Planting flowers, weeding and mulching beds, trimming shrubs.
- Building Maintenance – Help set up the gazebo for the season, power wash outdoor areas, paint, perform minor fixes to chairs and tables when needed.
Events & Entertainment
We are a social club, after all! We need members to help:
- Plan and Organize Member Events – Holiday barbeques, croquet, cornhole tournaments, and trivia night are just some of the ideas for enthusiastic members. Sign up and make a difference.
- Identify and Book Entertainment – Someday soon, we will have live music and dancing again. Entertainment committee members are charged with finding and booking the best talent on the Eastern Shore.
Help us build a vibrant and inclusive yacht club by:
- Recruiting Members – Interview prospective members, represent the club at local events, and welcome new members to the club.
- Run Member Activities – Organize fun events for members like new member socials or games night.
House (Bar & Restaurant)
The bar & restaurant is why so many members joined. Help make sure the dining experience is meeting expectations.
- Plan Dining Events – Theme dinners, wine tastings, and liquor tasting events are always popular.
- Member Host – Be a greeter one day a month to welcome members to the Club and help introduce new members to each other at events.
Fundraisers & Capital Campaign
As discussed in the Membership meeting in February, we face some big expenditures this year, and we need to reinforce the financial foundation for the club. Volunteers will help with:
- Campaign Design – Define clear goals and objectives for fundraising campaigns.
- Event Planning – Create compelling in-person and virtual events to drive member participation.
- Solicitation – Engage members to secure the club’s future.
We are stepping up our game, and we need content. Creative members may help with:
- Content Creation – Identify topics of interest, interview members, and create content for our newsletter and website.
- Photography – Visuals are so important in the age of social media.
- Social Media – Facebook and Instagram are essential for marketing and member communications.
Like so many things around our Club, the technology can use a bit of updating. Help us troubleshoot and stay current. Volunteer your expertise in the following areas:
- Networking – LAN, WiFi, Routers.
- Security Systems – CCTV, Alarm Systems, Fire Systems.
- Phone System – Upgrading our phone system is a priority.
- Club Software Systems – Accounting, dining, membership, communications.
Finance & Insurance
Got a knack for numbers? Help us with:
- Finance Committee – Working with the Treasurer, the Finance Committee sets budgets and monitors the club’s financial performance.
- Insurance Committee – The Insurance Committee is responsible for making sure that we have the right coverage for the club, marina, and grounds.